Sunday, April 07, 2019

What was meant to be 'The Woods' at Rogue and Vagabond


New Zealand Jazz
 James Illingworth (p) Tom Callwood (b) Blair Latham (ts) Rick Cranson (d) 

Tonight I was geared up to hear The Woods but it didn't quite pan out that way. Joe called in sick, and as I hadn’t heard this group before, and I was in the mood for a Joe Callwood fix, it was a little disappointing that he was stuck at home with the flu. However, I got over it pretty quickly and enjoyed the night.

I hadn’t heard James play for ages so that was a bonus. He brought plenty of intensity throughout the night (“Lonnie’s Lament” being a highlight early on), although sometimes the chops are a bit much for me (but he can sit in the pocket too). He doesn’t lack energy!! After a long dry spell, its nice to have heard Blair a few times lately. For whatever reason his articulation stood out tonight (great energy as always) maybe a bit notey-er than usual but it fit the vibe of the night. I dug Tom’s arco tone (it wasn’t too ampy) and his lines on "Chasin’ the Trane" leapt our at me. I hadn’t heard Rick for a long while either and they make a good rhythm section pairing. 

The quartet performed plenty of tunes by John Coltrane included "Lonnie’s Lament," "Crescent," "Wise One," and "Chasin’ the Trane" with a couple of others thrown in too - "I'm an Old Cow Hand" and Drew Menzies' "Oh Lord!" "Chasin' the Trane" closed out the night and was the highlight for me. Lots of great interaction and the band were clearly having a lot fun and the crowd was on the ride with them

There’s something to be said for the 5pm Sunday time-slot - it draws a crowd. Disappointed I can’t get in next week to hear Paul and Julien Dyne.

No comments: