Friday, April 24, 2020

COVID-19 Lockdown: Day 30

Lee KonitzThis morning I tuned into James Wylie’s podcast featuring music from Iran. I know next to nothing about Iranian music and found it a fascinating listen. I’m looking forward to catching any follow-up episodes he puts together.

Then the headphones came off and Lee Konitz came on for a couple of spins. Lee really was on form at this session recorded while he was on tour with Stan Kenton’s band in 1953. It features multiple takes of “I’ll Remember April”, “All The Things You Are” and “These Foolish Things” and a single take of “You’d Be So Nice To Come Home To”. Relaxed intensity, swinging, melodic, inventive – it’s a gem of a recording (I think it has released under various names) that might not be as well known as some of his other work, but definitely worth checking out if you haven’t heard it. His phrasing and articulation really stood out today. Expect more Lee next week and Quiet Fire is on the cards too.

No comments: