Tuesday, May 12, 2020

COVID-19 Level 3: Day 15


Billie Holiday
It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to get through the entire set before heading back to work. We’ll see I guess. In the meanwhile, disc 6 had a spin today, moving us into sessions from 1940 and 1941. Plenty of favourites here “Swing Brother Swing”, “Body and Soul”, “Laughing at Life”, “Time on My Hands”, “Practice Makes Perfect”. There was a time when I’d sing 3 versions of “Them There Eyes” back to back; Louis Armstrong’s version from 193, the Kansas City Session version with Freddie Green singing, and Billie’s version. Wild stuff and highly recommended. I’ll have to have a think about commuting music in the coming days. I’ll probably use the Dizzy stuff as a starting point. I have some piano albums I want to give some time as well (Elmo Hope, Wynton Kelly, Red Garland, Horace Silver).

No comments: