Thursday, January 18, 2024

Jazz | Pint | Always Let Me Go

 

ECM Records
After bit of an odd day it was nice to take out the evening listening with some music. Tonight’s listening was washed down with “Poodlefaker” from Craftwork.

I picked up this two-disc live recording on a whim fairly recently and this was my first listen. And while I have a few albums from Keith Jarrett’s “Standards Trio”, Always Let Me Go’ is the first from the trio that I have that is comprised of free improvisations – and that was my motivation for buying the album (I remember listening to ‘Changes’ many years ago but that’s all I remember from it).

I was surprised by how quickly the music passed. For me, that’s a good sign, especially when the opening track is 32 minutes (moving from the more abstract through to something more spacious and lyrical, before eventually settling into a satisfying mid-tempo swing). The second piece is a brief, lyrical solo feature for Jarrett which works as a nice link into the sparse opening of the third piece. Are free ballads underrated? I really enjoy hearing them, particularly when played by an ensemble with a rapport such as this. And the piece works so nicely towards the fourth piece which rounds things out with some energetic swing. The first disc is well paced with a nice ebb and flow within and between works. And I guess that’s similar to the second disc... which had to wait until the following evening for its first run (note: I would return to both discs over the next week... sometimes listening to a track or two... or a whole disc... but my comments in this post were all taken during the first listen).

The opening is spacious and some romantic bass work from Peacock emerges. By the time DeJohnette enters the piece has taken on a completely different shape with tension increasing until quite abruptly shifting gears. A fine drum solo opens the second piece opens which at times has the feel of hand drums – dynamic playing, great colours, and groove. In contrast to the third piece which is more pointillistic with quick, stabbing phrases from the piano from which powerful drums emerge which morph into a moody bass solo. Across both discs the trio is not compelled to give it all at once – solos, duos, and trios come and go throughout which adds plenty in terms of texture and form. It’s still early days and I’ve only listened to it a couple of times, but ‘Always Let Me Go’ might be my favourite from this trio (or somewhere near the top). It just goes to show what you can do if you’re able to keep a band together (and you happen to be Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette!). It left me wondering if this trio’s free improvised recordings been a gateway for fans to explore similar forms of jazz?

No comments: