Tuesday, September 05, 2017

In Conversation with Dave Liebman

David Liebman was featured in the October 11, 1973 issue of Down Beat. This is from right around the time he recorded Lookout Farm for ECM. Liebman has a vast discography and I find he overdoes the tribute album thing, so I tend to pick and choose what albums of his I purchase. As I was wrapping up this post I reached for his duo album with Marc Copland, Bookends (HatOlogy) and listened to "Blue In Green." They make a fine duo and this piece hit the spot - Copland has a warm touch and great sense of harmony, and Liebman displays his more mellow side.

And while we're on the subject of duos.... back in June I picked up The Fallout of Dreams (Rogue Art) from the Downtown Music Gallery. During August I finally got around to giving it a few listens. It features Liebman on soprano/tenor/flute/piano/drums alongside poet Steve Dalachinsky (with pianist Richie Beirach joining them on a couple of tracks). If you are interested in jazz/improvised music with spoken word, The Fallout of Dreams is definitely worth a close listen.

Click on the image to view PDF of the full article. More vintage magazine articles are available here.

Fallout of Dreams Steve Dalachinsky Jazz Poetry

No comments: