Monday, March 26, 2018

Digitizing the CD Collection

I'm not sure why it has taken me this long, but I'm finally getting around to digitizing my CDs. A work in progress, but well on the way. I'm using Fre:ac which seems to be doing the job, although plenty of discs don't register in the database so there is the slightly painful process of adding artist, album and song info. If anything it has been a nice way to survey the library and listen to a few things that caught my eye or haven't had airtime for a while.

Some of last week's listening featured tracks from John Surman - Westering Home (mostly the soprano tracks), Gil Evans - Complete Pacific Jazz Sessions (for the Steve Lacy tracks, but there's plenty for Cannonball fans too), Sonny Rollins - Complete Live at the Village Gate 1963 (I still feel his 60s work is overlooked), and Frank Gratkowski - Artikulationen (although known for his use of "extended" techniques, I really enjoy his clean tone and line playing).

On Saturday I had these three keeping me company - the youthful exuberance of Nils Wogram's Root 70, Max Roach's ever-relevant  We Insist! and Ornette Coleman's Virgin Beauty, which I hadn't listened to in about a year when I was considering playing the title-track in a solo performance (I went with "Beauty is a Rare Thing" instead).

I'm not sure how many I have left to go (nor how many I have done... or how many I have in total) but the end is now in sight.

No comments: