Monday, March 30, 2020

COVID-19 Lockdown: Day 5


Nils Wogram
New Zealand JazzThe tour through the Root 70 catalogue continued today with the 2010 release, Listen to Your Woman – an all-blues outing and part 2 of the conceptual works. When I studied with Hayden in Greece during 2009 he mentioned this up coming recording and played me a little bit of the boogie piece he was writing (the albums opener, “Rusty Bagpipe Boogie”). This is the first , and only, Root 70 album to contain compositions from each of the members.

It had been a while since I had listened to Bernie McGann, and 1966 had been on my list for a while now. Bernie is so distinctive and Kim Paterson is under-recorded (or at least I’m missing out on albums I don’t know about!) and it’s the earliest recording I have heard from all involved
The fidelity isn’t the greatest – totally listenable though - and the music and historical importance more than makes up for it. Great energy throughout.

No comments: