Thursday, March 14, 2024

Jazz | Pint | West Coast Live

Craftwork Brewery
I have bouts of listening to Stan Getz… most recently (late last year) it was the 3 disc set East of the Sun – The West Coast Sessions ….that, and pretty much the rest of his albums I have are from the 1940s - early 60s… and the 2 disc West Coast Live is no exception. Considering it’s a live recording from 1953/1954 the sound is really nice. Getz was subbing on the gig for Mulligan, and the quartet (with Carson Smith on bass and Larry Bunker on drums) stick to standards from the great American songbook and a few bop lines. No complaints there. It’s all about the horns out front really.... and that’s why I grabbed this disc. So no complaints there either. Considering Baker and Getz were known not to get on, there are moments when they really hit it off musically.. ‘Strike Up The Band’ has some wonderful swinging intertwined lines. But they don’t always gel (and I don’t think either are consistently at their best) but that’s one of the things that make this recording interesting and also speaks to the nature of live performance – it is what it is in the moment. Just in this case, we get to have a listen again over 70 years later. Maybe eventually I’ll get around to listening to Stan Meets Chet from later in the 50s and see how they fared in the studio. But I have a feeling that these 2 live discs will fill my Chet with Stan needs.

While listening tonight I’ve been sipping on Scotch Bonnet from Craftwork.

No comments: