Friday, January 11, 2019

Music for Commuting: Clangs, Golden Circle and It Club

This week's listening featured more discs from the boxes with which I have been reunited. The week kicked off with Ornette's At the Golden Circle (Volume 1). It's far from my favourite Ornette, but I enjoyed it more than I remembered, and eventually I'll pick up Volume 2. Then there was Lacy's Clangs - a largish ensemble (double sextet) recording from 1992. This one deserves a bit more attention (don't they all?!), so I'll have to sit down with it sometime away from the rumble of the road. I picked up Monk's Live at the It Club early last year, but this was the first time that I had managed to give it a spin (although I had listened to it previously courtesy of the library while I was at music school). Monk made for good driving music so expect to see more coming up from Thelonious.
Thelonious Monk; Ornette Coleman; Steve Lacy

No comments: