Monday, April 08, 2013

Recent Purchases - NYC

I got to a few record stores but didn’t go overboard on the record buying front - even went to the Jazz Record Center and managed not to buy anything (I was this close to getting a Johnny Hodges disc)......I haven't got around to listening to any yet. Anyway, here’s what I picked up.

J&R: J&R have significantly downsized the jazz selection - still plenty of gems there though
with the bonus that you pay less than the sticker price.
Frank GratkowskiFo(u)r Alto” (Leo) I heard this group during 2009 in Greece. This is their first album - released at the end of 2012.

Downtown Music Gallery: hadn’t been there for a while. It’s small but you could spent a lot of time (and $$) there. Bruce is always friendly & helpful. I wanted to pick up a couple of solo sax discs and found these two....
John Butcher “Resonant Spaces” (Confront)
Sam Newsome “Blue Soliloquy”  (Sam's Blog)
Bonus purchase of the day was a book I had be looking at buying online.
Joe Morris “Perpetual Frontier: The Properties of Free Music”

While I was in the neighborhood I had some cheap and greasy dumplings for lunch.

Stetson & Gustafsson
Other Music: Another I try to get to while I’m in town. The jazz selection can be a bit hit and miss but there is usually something of interest this time it was solo & duo saxophones.
John Butcher “Bell Trove Spools” (Northern Spy)
Colin Stetson & Mats Gustafsson “Stones” (Rune Grammofon)

Academy Records (18th st): Jazz selection isn’t huge but I couldn’t pass up this “used” (still sealed) disc - recordings from two live performances in NYC.
Tranceformation: In Concert (New Artists Records)

Strand:
John Corbett: “Extended Play: Sounding from John Cafe to Dr. Funkenstein”
Sean Mac Erlaine posted a quote of Derek Bailey’s from this book on his Facebook page. Strand had it for a nice price so I picked it up - looks very interesting...includes interviews with improvisors such as Evan Parker, Anthony Braxton, Derek Bailey, Han Bennink, Peter Brotzmann & Sun Ra.

No comments: