Saturday, July 19, 2014

Impact Records: Our Man In Paris


It's been a while since added to this series of the blog. Here are the previous entries - Kings of SwingKind Of BlueCharlie ParkerBillie and PresOut To Lunch.

I picked up Dexter Gordon's Our Man In Paris (Blue Note) towards the end of my last year at high school or during the summer before heading to music school. I can't remember what led me to this album but it was on heavy rotation over the summer leading to the start of music school and I transcribed a few of the solos. Although I have played some of the tracks to students over the years it's not an album I return to often. Listening to it when I was working on this post was the first time I had given the album a run for quite some time. Back then I think I was drawn to the boldness of his tone and the excitement of the faster tracks (“Scrapple From The Apple,” “Broadway,” and “A Night In Tunisia” - I also had heard other artists play them). Now my attention was drawn to the ballad (“Stairway To The Stars”) and the track I don’t remember as a well as the others (“Our Love Is Hear To Stay"). I have mixed feelings about this album now - it's one of nostalgia rather than musical affinity. However, the shimmering cymbals of Kenny Clarke grabbed me and I feel I will likely return to the album for his playing alone – Klook plays great on the entire album.

No comments: