Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Dave Brubeck "Time Out": Ira Gitler Review - Down Beat 1960

55 years ago Ira Gitler's review of Time Out appeared in Down Beat magazine. For an album that many today hold up as a classic, Gitler's two-star review may be a shock. It's the kind of review that is rare to see in jazz magazines these days. He's particularly scathing (of Brubeck in particular) and I'm surprised that he even awarded it two stars. This was an album I listened to a lot towards the end of high school (and I learned Paul Desmond's "Take Five" solo) but I can't remember the last time I listened to it. It might be fun to revisit it with Gitler's review in mind.
Click on the image to view PDF of the full article. More vintage magazine articles can be found here.

Down Beat Magazine

No comments: