Monday, March 21, 2016

Weekend Listening

Peter Broztmann: Lost & Found (FMP)
A 2006 solo outing on alto/tenor sax, clarinet and tarogato. I picked this up on a whim and enjoyed it more than I expected. His take on Monk's "Crepuscule with Nellie" to end the 4th track gave me a chuckle.

Lol Coxhill & Morgan Fisher: Slow Music (Cherry Red Records)
Playing this back-to-back with the Brotzmann record made for quite a contrast (it worked though) and made a mellow end to the evening. This one was not as minimalist as I expected and at times Alexander Berne's Composed & Performed By came to mind.

The Fringe: It's Time For The Fringe (Soul Note)
A nicely recorded live album from 1992. I don't remember enjoying George Garzone's soprano tone as much as I did here - I may need to revisit him on soprano. It's nice they played to a supportive audience, but I could do without the crowd erupting every time Garzone distorts his altissimo. There is something to be said about groups that stick together, and The Fringe do have a rapport that reflects longevity.

No comments: