Monday, April 04, 2016

Is it fitting that April Fools Day kicks off Jazz Appreciation Month?

All going to plan, I am hoping to detail this month's listening as best I can. Plans were almost foiled by a computer meltdown on Thursday - hence the delay in getting this post together. Anyway, I kicked off the start of the month with Annette (HatOLOGY). The trio of Paul Bley (p) Gary Peacock (b) and Franz Koglmann (trpt/flg) tackle tunes by Annette Peacock. I find these compositions quite intriguing and I want to do some comparison listens - Bley has recorded a number of them before and Marilyn Crispell's trio (with Gary Peacock and Paul Motian) recorded and excellent double album in the 90s devoted to Peacock's tunes. Other albums that are slated for a listen this month include Quest's Circular Dreaming, One Dark Night I Left My Silent House - the duo of Marilyn Crispell and David Rothenberg, a couple of albums I picked up at Ran Blake's concert last weekend - I'm particularly looking forward to Ghost Tones featuring George Russell compositions. Steve Swell's latest (featuring Connie Crothers) arrived in the mail last week, so add that to the list. Also, I've been working my way through Wayne Shorter's Blue Note albums and I'm up to Speak No Evil so that will get some airtime too.

No comments: