Saturday, January 26, 2019

Music for Commuting: More Monk Monk Monk Monk Monk

The Riverside albums of Thelonious Monk have continued keep me company on the road each day. This week I had the next five albums cued up: Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane, Mulligan Meets Monk, Thelonious in Action, Misterioso, The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall. I've probably had my fill of Johnny Griffin for now. He could use and editor, but at the same time he provides a contrast to Monk. His bluesy bebopping with touches of quirkiness had me thinking of my friend Johnny Lippiett (Hi Johnny!). Mulligan recorded a few “Meets” albums but this one doesn’t really do it for me, although I do like the sound of Monk on baritone. I plan to round-out the box set next week.
Thelonious Monk: Riverside Albums


No comments: