Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Music for Commuting: Even More Monk Monk Monk Monk Monk Monk

Last week I wrapped up the Thelonious Monk albums on Riverside - 5 By Monk By 5, Alone In San Francisco, At the Blackhawk, Monk In France, In Italy, and San Francisco Holiday. Of these I'm most familiar with the first two albums. I particularly enjoy the pairing of Thad Jones alongside Charlie Rouse on 5 By Monk By 5. And it made me realize that I haven't listened to that much from Thad. "Jackie-Ing" and "Played Twice" got stuck in my mind on more than one occasion (and I started working on the latter during my lunch breaks in the park). It has been nice having the box set keep me company in the car. Monk sure had some nice rhythm section pairings - Oscar Pettiford and Kenny Clarke/Art Blakey/Max Roach, Wilbur Ware and Art Blakey, Ahmed Abdul-Malik and Roy Haynes, John Ore and Billy Higgins (I don't think Higgins recorded much with Monk but I dug his work on At The Blackhawk), Sam Jones and Art Taylor.... not bad at all. Now I just need to work out what to pick for the coming weeks. 
Thelonious Monk Riverside


No comments: